Tax Breaks for Married Couples

If you get married or become considered to have a common-law partner you should file form RC65 as soon as possible. This marital status change may affect the amount of GST/HST credit you receive.

  • A Spouse is a person to whom you are legally married.
  • A common-law partner is a person with whom you have lived in a conjugal relationship for 12 consecutive months, is the parent of your child by birth or adoption, or has custody of your child.

To complete your tax return you must have your spouse or common-law partners SIN number. You must have their net income from their tax return line 23600, even if it is zero.

Spousal RRSP's How much can I contribute?

Tax Education